224 Valkyrie

Let me preface this and say, I do not have a barrel or an upper yet.  With that said, I am quite familiar with the 6.8SPC case dimensions/design.

The 224 Valkyrie is not a new cartridge, these companies are just taking a wildcat cartridge that has been around for quite some time and making it a mainstream, factory round.  I first heard about the 22/6.8 was in 2007.  Wildcatters were really talking about using it for predators back then.



So, the new cartridge is being pumped up as the best thing since sliced bread for the small framed AR-15.  This is to be expected, that's what marketing departments do, they tell you what they want you to hear.  The videos of it going to 1300yds and staying supersonic are impressive and I don't doubt its capable of that.  The heavier bullets have great ballistic co-efficient's(BC's).

The question you must ask yourself is, What am I going to use it for?  Answer this honestly to yourself.  Are you using it for Precision Rifle matches?  Are you looking for a new predator hunting round?

If you answered yes to any of these, I think there is a better option.  I'll break it down a little.

Precision rifle shooting, is a long range, sniper type competition.  Shooting any small framed AR cartridge in this type of environment is a challenge and honestly is very hard to be competitive.  Ask me how I know.  The 6 Creedmoor, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 and 6.5x47 are much better for this game, even though they are in the larger, AR-10 type receiver.

Predator hunting is more in the line of this caliber, but with similar case capacity as the 22 Nosler, which has a re-bated rim to use a 223 bolt face, while the Valkyrie uses the much larger 6.8 bolt face, with less webbing(bigger bolt face).  Running the same load, the 223 bolt can handle more pressure than the Valkyrie can.  Why risk breaking a bolt?

The positive side of this case is the availability of brass(6.8spc) if you wanted to use a "S" style bushing die and neck it down yourself.  Along with the 22 Nosler, I think the brass from Federal will be expensive due to the exclusivity of the round.


Lastly,  I, personally have a problem with people calling the AR-15 a MSR(Modern Sporting Rifle), stop being PC to appease to the media/politicians.  So stop calling it this!

I know there is a lot of hype around this case and it might be a wonderful case, but I think there are better options out there.  I'll follow up in a couple weeks/months when I do test it and will be truthful with my findings and if I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Glory" the 243

6 Super SD

Coyote Calling Academy Interview